Tuesday, March 19, 2024

WAVES AND SHADOWS March 19, 2024

October 12, 2021

It was just like Mandy to bring a comfort gift bag with a few of my favorite things. Mandy knows I've journaled often through certain times in my life, and she included a beautiful journal with a scripture for each day and the prompt, "God is good because ...". It reminds me everyday that God truly is good, and there is always something in particular to assign to that truth.

This is the first day of this journal through these unspeakable days of being separated from BW at a time in his life when he needs me the most. And when I need to be with him more now than anytime in our lives..

"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9 ESV

Lord,

It's Day 5 of BW's hospitalization in ICU. I thank you that he's still with us and doing as well as he is. Please, please continue to sustain him and bring him to a higher level of health today, if only by baby steps. I need him with me. Please!

Tonight was so hard. The discussion I never, ever wanted to have - the possibility of a ventilator. Just the thought that it may be in BW's future is terrifying, heartbreaking, and beyond my ability to accept. But it had to be addressed.

Should that decision need to be made for his recovery, he will face it head on, armed with his unwavering faith in You, his God, and his willingness to accept Your perfect will...whether your will is for him to remain here doing what he does best in loving and serving others, or to continue on to his eternal home with You and so many loved family members and friends.

My job is to stand with him, drawing on his faith and his bravery, and leaning on You. How could I do less than to honor his wishes with that same faith and with grace. He set the standard with his own life - working beyond his own strength at times and pressing forward. He asks so little for himself.

God, you are good because You are with us through it all. The uncertainty. The heartache. The hope. 

So good.   

Nancy K Sullivan
October 12, 2021




2 comments:

Mary LaFrance said...

As I reread your blogs and posts about those agonizing days with BW in the hospital and you on the outside looking in, I'm gently reminded that Jesus was ever present with you both and at the same time. I can only imagine the heartbroken pain, the frustration with everything medical and beyond.

So here you are, 2 1/2 years later, committed to sharing with hope and wisdom for others to use...this is a gracious gift to those who know you and the strangers that will read it all.

So I continue to pray and ask our Heavenly Father to keep you going...with strength, good health and the stamina and perseverance to complete each task.

Lovingly,
Mary LaFrance

Nancy K. Sullivan said...

Thank you, Mary. It's a testimony to God's presence in every situation. I appreciate you, my friend.